Journeys » Serengeti, Tanzania (Journeys) » Serengeti, Tanzania - 2017
TANZANIA - SERENGETI - WHERE YOU MEET THE BIG 4
At this stage I had added a 400mm for wildlife, a macro lens for flowers, an extension for my Lightroom software (the Rugged), and of course the reliable 300 came too. Shooting on a safari is a waiting game. It demands early starts and late evenings. But by this stage, I knew what to expect. On those safaris, one learns about conservation, culture and animal behavior.
SANCTUARY KUSINI CAMP one gets a sense of space. Serengeti is host to a huge number of wildlife, 70 large mammal species, 500 species of birds, 3000 lions and millions of wildebeest, zebras, gazelles etc. Millions of them, at all times!
In Kusini Camp zebras, gazelles, buffalos, monkies, visit the camp daily and right through the night lions can be heard not too far away. It's the "real thing”.
If you come across adorable lion cubs, don’t bring them home!
The range of wildlife in Serengeti is due to the variety of habitats to be found in the area including riverine forests, swamps, kopjes, grasslands, and woodlands.
WHERE TO STAY
- AMSTERDAM, KILIMANJARO, ARUSHA for Bush Flight
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
Have often wondered about migration. I learned that zebras are nice and fat because they eat the high grass full of protein. the wildebeest will eat the medium poor grass and are bony, the leftover is eaten by the smaller animals. it makes sense. When the grass is gone in Serengeti over a million beasts and hundreds of thousands of zebra head north in lines that can be 40 km long and cross over 1,800 miles each year to reach the green grass of the Masai Mara Region in Kenya. When in foal they will cross over to Serengeti again in search of green grass rich in protein and minerals for the herd. Such an effort for a bit of grass.
- I took anti-malaria drugs because of rain and so many animals.
- I was told that in case of malaria symptoms one must take the whole 12 tablets in one day while looking for help.
- That's why tablets come in boxes of 12.
- Mornings can be very cold and wet.
- Camps with good water, good vehicle, good spotters would make a trip very successful.
- Bring US$ bank notes for tipping. But check issue dates.
- Travel light, flights to the bush are very strict about weight.
- Soft Luggage Bags on small planes - no frames.
- Check measurements of bags with the agency.
- Some companies have a supply of soft canvas bags at reasonable prices.
- Some companies have facilities to store heavy luggage.
- Most Agency book a spare seat for the extra weight of photographic equipment.
- Vultures birds wait patiently to pray on lions’ droppings!
- A blue and black flag soaked in repellant indicates the presence of tze-tze fly, an airborne insect that likes sun and wind.