Services » Guatemala (Journeys) » Guatamala - 2018
GUATEMALA - SHY OF CAMERAS
Yes, the people in Guatemala are shy of cameras, and I had to hide and ask my 300 mm lens to do wonders. It did. One day I’ll get into serious trouble.
Guatemala was part of the Yucatan tour with GAdventures.
Atitlan Lake in Guatemala, Panajachel town, surrounded by volcanos and dotted with Mayan villages is truly picturesque. Visit la Casa del Mundo on the lake for a meal on the balcony. Christmas Eve was spent with a local Mayan family and their in-house gang of chickens, as part of the social programs supported by GAdventures.
Antigua is a colorful colonial city full of shops, color, alleys, churches, and of course chocolate. Guatemala is poorer and low key compared to neighboring Mexico. Colorful old American school buses better known as Chicken Buses are driven to Guatemala all the way from the States!
If in San Juan La Laguna, Solola, Atitlan Lake, look up TZ'UTUJ Q'AJOM, a family of musicians playing Musica Maya Ancestral. See my video. They are really worth a visit.
WHERE TO STAY
- Atitlan Lake, Rupalaj Kistalin Posada, in the town of Panajachel
- Antigua, Posada Los Bucaros, and later El Carmen Hotel
- Border Crossing in Ciudad Cuauhtemoc 30 US$ if crossing by car.
- Guatemala is a very interesting country. A big producer of Chocolate and Coffee.
- Volcanos are active.
- Wear good shoes as cobblestones are really rough.
- We were warned not to wander around at night, and we did notice a lot of men sleeping rough. Drugs?